Monday, February 24, 2014

Twitter chats

Part of my weekly learning routine is participating in #satchat on Saturday mornings. It's at 7:30 Eastern each week, then occurs at 7:30 Pacific with the hashtag #satchatwc. Since it's 6:30 for me, it occurs early enough that I can enjoy the conversation in peace and quiet before the rest of the family wakes up. There are lots of weekly chats, but this one works best for my schedule.

I like to participate via Tweetdeck for several reasons. First, the ability to create search columns for the hashtag makes it much easier to focus on the topic at hand. Also, I can exclude spam hashtags within those search columns. Finally, creating search columns for each question in the discussion makes it easier to follow the discussion. Some users like to create a search column for the moderator instead, but I like having separate columns for each question.

Several users have suggested Hootsuite as an app that's similar in functionality for tablets and smart phones, but I haven't used it myself. I prefer using my laptop for chats, since I can type more quickly using a full keyboard. On the rare occasions I've tried to follow the chat on my smart phone, I've definitely been aware of how many questions I miss.

The best part of these chats is sharing ideas with educators from all over the country, both teachers and administrators, from public and private schools, in all kind of demographic areas. I start the weekend energized, filled with ideas for the week ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment