Thursday, February 20, 2014

Welcome!

As a teacher in an independent school, I'm constantly learning. Learning classroom management and pedagogy seemed to occupy most of my first few years as a teacher, and in recent years I've been learning more about how to effectively integrate technology into my teaching. Last year I stepped outside my comfort zone and submitted proposals to two different conferences, and learning how to be an effective presenter was a whole new set of challenges.

This year, my fifteenth in the classroom, I've decided to start a blog. I've seen blogs used in so many ways, as personal reflection, as a means to share what's going on in a classroom, and as a way to engage others in discussion. What prompted me to leap into the pond myself was a blog post written by Lyn Hilt, A PKM challenge! Personal Knowledge Management is a concept defined by Harold Jarche as: “A set of processes, individually constructed, to help each of us make sense of our world and work more effectively.” Part of his framework for PKM is a three step process: Seek, Sense, Share. I've been Seeking lots of new knowledge about how to teach most effectively for quite some time now. I've been actively Sharing information with colleagues through email, Tweeting, and Facebook as well. The step I've been less intentional about is Sensing, and that's what's finally led me to start this blog.

So if you're interested in reading another educator's thoughts on teaching and learning, welcome to my blog, Lifelong Learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment